For residents that may be faced with housing insecurity, the City of Chicago, provides and works with a number of organizations throughout the City to provide programs, information and support in times of need. More information can be found below for renters that may be looking for affordable housing options, landlords that are looking to fill empty apartments and homeowners that want more information on what programs they may be eligible for.

Chicago Housing Authority
    • CHA’s Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program plays a vital role in housing families with children, the elderly and people with disabilities across Chicago. Using federal funds provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the voucher program helps participant families pay for housing in the private market, such as apartments, duplexes, condominiums, townhouses and single-family homes. Participant families contribute 30-40% of their income toward rent and utilities and CHA pays the remainder directly to the property owner.
    • The waitlist is currently open for those looking for public housing or obtaining a voucher. Residents are able to apply online or in-person.
    • You will receive an email confirmation when you have successfully completed or updated your application. For more information, please contact CHA at 312-913-7400 or CHAOccupancy@thecha.org. CHA will then select names from the waitlist based on: application date (for the unit size available) & eligible preferences (if any) – for example, homelessness.
The Resurrection Project
    • The Resurrection Project (TRP) plans, builds, and manages rental properties in the Pilsen, Back of the Yards, and Little Village neighborhoods. We offer more than 800 units of affordable housing, workforce housing, and single-room occupancy (SRO) housing at an average rate of $680 per month.
    • Working with other programs, including CHA, low income housing tax credits, and SROs (emergency housing for those in need of short- to medium-term accommodations).
    • A pre-application needs to be submitted first. If you qualify for housing, you will be added to our waiting list based on the date and time of your submission. Available apartments are offered to eligible individuals based on where they fall on the waiting list.
    • At the moment, only in-person applications can be submitted at TRP’s office located at 1805 S. Paulina Street, Chicago, IL 60608 and 4600 S. Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60609
  1. City of Chicago Department of Housing
    • The Department of Housing does not own or maintain any residences, however, staff does offer a series of services and resources that can help renters find affordable homes and resolve issues with landlords. For those that may have issues with your landlord or be faced with the possibility of eviction, it is important to know your rights as a tenant. 

2. Metropolitan Tenants Organization

    • Metropolitan Tenants Organization (MTO) helps to educate, organize, and empower tenants to have a voice in the decisions that affect the affordability and availability of safe, decent & accessible housing. If you need have trouble contacting your landlord, need a question answered, have a repair issue, or just want to take pictures of your unit to protect your deposit, MTO works with an online platform with 24/7 assistance or via phone M-F 1 pm – 5 pm by calling 773-292-4988.

3. Lawyer’s Committee for Better Housing 

    • Law Center for Better Housing (LCBH) is the only non-profit law firm in the Chicago area that focuses solely on low and moderate income renters in the private housing market. LCBH provides free legal and supportive services to improve housing stability for lower income renters while advocating for the rights of all renters until everyone in Chicago has a safe, decent, and affordable place to call home.
    • LCBH accepts clients on a case-by-case basis depending on need and situation. To qualify for services ALL renters must go through the LCBH intake process by calling (312) 347-7600 or texting “Hi” to (866) 773-6837.

4. Legal Aid Chicago 

    • Legal Aid Chicago focuses on cases that protect safe and affordable housing for tenants and homeowners, including preventing eviction or termination from subsidized housing and the Housing Choice Voucher Program, maintaining and restoring essential utility services (gas, electric, water), among many others.
    • To see if you qualify for legal assistance through Legal Aid, residents can apply online or by calling 312-341-1070

5. Center for Conflict Resolution 

    • The Center for Conflict Resolution (CCR) focuses on resolving conflict through mediation. The majority of cases mediated by CCR are civil in nature and is always an option if you are thinking about taking your dispute to court especially for cases that involve tenants and landlords.
    • Anyone who is involved in the dispute can contact CCR to open a case. To open a case, please contact CCR at 312-922-6464 x222 to open a case, or email newcase@ccrchicago.org. In many situations, if you are at court, you may also request mediation by asking the courtroom clerk or judge.
  1. Property Taxes

    • Cook County Assessor’s Office
      • The job of the Cook County Assessor’s Office (CCAO) is to calculate a fair market value for your property. If you own and live in a home, townhome, or condominium unit for which you pay property taxes, you can apply for certain exemptions that will lower the assessed value of your property, and more than likely your total property tax bill, which are also handled by the CCAO. To find a list of all exemptions, please view here. Please Note: Exemption deductions only appear on the Second Installment Property Tax Bill and not all renew each year.  
      • They are also responsible for sending out reassessment notices.Cook County is reassessed triennially, which means one-third of the county is reassessed each year and next year, Chicago townships will be reassessed. 
    • Cook County Treasurer’s Office 
      • The County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting, safeguarding, investing and distributing property tax funds.
    • Cook County Board of Review (BOR)
      • The Board of Review is a government office that provides taxpayers of Cook County an opportunity to appeal the overvaluation of property assessments. 
      • Taxpayers may present themselves before the BOR and file an Appeal on or before the date established as the official closing date for the Township in which the property is located. For 2023, the West Chicago township is not currently open. 

2.  Illinois Homeowner Assistance Fund 

    • The Illinois Homeowner Assistance Fund (ILHAF) provides up to $60,000 in mortgage assistance to eligible homeowners — paid directly to the servicer, taxing body or other approved entity.
    • IHDA is currently accepting applications for ILHAF assistance until Tuesday, Oct. 31. Application for the program can be found here.
Additional Resources

1. Chicago Low Income Housing Trust 

    • The Chicago Low-Income Housing Trust Fund (CLIHTF) works with landlords to provide rental subsidies to Chicago residents with incomes not exceeding 35 percent of area median income. The rental assistance is provided directly to landlords.
    • At the moment, the CLIHTF is closed for adding new properties to the Rental Subsidy Program. When the application opens up enrollment, information will be posted on their website. 

2. All Chicago

    • All Chicago works to prevent and end the issue of homelessness in Chicago. One of the ways they are doing so include the Emergency Financial Assistance to quickly provide payments on a person’s behalf for things like rent, utilities, or transportation.
    • To learn about all their other programs and to see if funds are available, contact All Chicago at (312) 379-0301.

3. Spanish Coalition for Housing 

    • For over 45 years, the Spanish Coalition for Housing has played a vital role in Chicago’s housing sector. They assist families and individuals find affordable houses, rent affordable apartments and connect them with jobs in Chicago.
    • They provide financial coaching, homeowner education workshops and provide one-on-one counseling to renters in need. To contact their organization, please fill out the form here or call (773) 342-7575.
Scroll to Top